The Mercer Island Historical Society was established in 1954. Click here to learn
more about the History of the Historical Society.
The mission of the Mercer Island Historical Society is to collect, preserve, research,
record, and make available the heritage of Mercer Island.
- To acquire, collect, preserve, label, and store historical documents, records, artifacts and memorabilia pertinent to Mercer Island history.
- Identify and mark
historical sites on Mercer Island.
- To promote the history of Mercer Island by presenting programs to community organizations and schools.
- To share the history of Mercer Island in local displays and exhibits, and more globally on the Internet.
- To partner with public organizations, and other organizations in preserving and protecting all aspects of Mercer Island history.
- To seek public and private investments in all areas where support of any society function requires financial assistance.
The Board of Directors
Other Board Members
Virginia Anderson -- Trustee
Dick Decker -- Trustee
Kisi Goode -- Trustee
Bob Lewis -- Trustee
Tovi Lund -- Trustee
Michael Wright -- Trustee
The board of directors can be contacted by calling the Mercer Island Historical Society at
206-236-3274 and leaving a message, or emailing the historical society at info @mihistory.org.
We are always looking for volunteers
to help on our committees. Please let us know if you can help us on any of the following
- Archive Committee - Preserves archives, photos and videos for permanent storage.
- Filing Committee - Files and organizes new acquisitions.
- Finance Committee - Works with the treasurer to develop a financial plan.
- Fund Raising Committee - Markets and sells Historical Society information such as the Mercer Island Heritage book.
- Grant Committee - Researches and writes grants for our historical projects.
- Historical Marker Committee - Research historic places on Mercer Island, solicit funds to pay for historic markers, then place markers on selected historical sites.
- Hospitality Committee - Provides refreshments and desserts for our monthly meetings.
- Membership Committee -
Encourages new membership.
- Program Committee - Plans and schedules programs for the monthly meetings.
- Promotions Committee - Ensures notification is made to members and the community of society events and programs. Sub-committee's include our newsletter, Mercer Island Reporter Liaison, and our phone tree.
- Web Site Committee - Develops content and publishes updates for the web site.
The Mercer Island Historical Society is a volunteer organization.